Tuesday 23 June 2015

Project #5 - Case Study 2 - Dishonoured

Case Study 2 -Corvo Attano - Dishonoured

So I was too busy with doing the project, that I totally forgot about updating what I'd done in researching for it, etc. Silly me. I've finished the project anyway, so I'll shortly be writing an entry reflecting upon that.

In the case of Corvo Attano in Dishonoured the 'misleading' here isn't quite so dramatic as with Mirajane Strauss (Fairy Tail), which is why I chose to use it as an example. When I use the word 'misleading', I don't mean in a bad way - I just mean that the player is misdirected to believe that the character is one thing through the way they look and then proven wrong in uncovering information about the character. This seemed to work in Mira's case, and I'm going to analyze this example as well.

Again, there will be some spoilers in this analysis.

Anyway; Corvo is an assassin. There he is:


That information, in itself, springs certain images to mind. Assassin's are expected to be pretty cold and calculated, and remorseless killers. That's what Corvo is, right? Not exactly. He's not an assassin by choice, and that, here is paramount.

The general archetype of assassin's is that they tend to be hardened killers who prefer not to hold ties with anyone, however Corvo wasn't brought up as one and he certainly seems to care about Emily, with whom he seems to share an affectionate bond, whether she is or isn't related to him by blood.

Long story short, he was originally Lord Protector to the Empress, having surprisingly grown up in a lower class family, fighting on the streets as a teen. These turns of events would make one assume that Corvo is a less compassionate man than he is. Even based on physicality i.e. his body language, expressions, dark colour palette, you'd assume that this man isn't all that approachable.

 
So to learn of his affections with Emily is almost a surprising turn, and a misleading characteristic in a way. While it might not be an enormously outrageous break of archetype, it is still what I like to call a 'quirk' - in that it's a trait you wouldn't expect of a character; in this case one which goes around inciting jailbreaks.
But it is also potentially pivotal. Perhaps this is one reason I focused on Corvo as an example. His compassion towards Emily can influence the choice the player could end up making, based on how they interpret Corvo as a man through this. There are two choices that the player can make after [spoiler] Corvo rescues Emily. Funnily enough, this choice ties in with what I'd been looking at regarding consequences and role-playing.

So yeah, this was the second one I'd looked into. It might arguably not be considered misleading in any way, since it's fairly ambiguous, although the general archetype of assassins is that they are emotionally hardened and don't tend to keep strong ties.

0 comments:

Post a Comment