Thursday 16 October 2014

Generating stereotypes?

So, following on from what I said about having discussed stereotypes when it comes to cultures of various sorts, I considered some three cultures based on my knowledge of them as it stands. I decided that, as a start, I will explore:

Welsh - The culture I probably know the most about from lifestyle to history to mythology.

Japanese - A culture of which I have a basic knowledge.

Slavic - Having touched upon the mythology surrounding this large culture, it will be interesting to see the results of what I think I know of the real life side of the culture. 

Australian - I know very little about, apart from something of the aborigines.  

Resisting the urge to research further until initial designs have been made based on what I currently know, I will then determine whether that state of knowledge generates a stereotype in those designs.

These are merely a starting point.

In the meantime, I want to continue researching what it is that strictly entices a person to grow attached to a character in order to uncover whether cultural influences play a part in how easily related to a character might be.

Again to sum it up as I try to write my Learning Agreement, I intend to explore the value of cultural influences in character design and how this may or may not effect the relation between player and character.

As for initial sketch work and exploration, it's late and I'm going to bed. That can wait until tomorrow.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment