Tuesday 11 August 2015

Final Project: Breakdown

Right. Before I get too far into things, I need to breakdown what exactly is and has been happening throughout this project. This is for both the reader's convenience and for something for me to refer back to later and to reflect upon. Obviously, throughout development it's likely things will change but thus far the following is what I've established as my brief. 


The Brief


I intend (or am currently doing so) to create a journal, drawn and written from the point of view of an original character, containing documentation of an entire world including a large variety of characters, creatures, environments and other aspects which make up a believable game space. Naturally, everything I design will be a culmination of my research, and to make this easier I established a number of key words. 

  • Coherence
  • Unification
  • Appeal
  • Curiosity
  • Indirect Control
  • Experience

From my research, this is what I have concluded is necessary to create relatable and cohesive characters, and by extension to engage the player in a game world. These key words will be vital to my designs. 

 
For this project I will :

  • Create a journal that will be traditional drawn and written.
  • Document a cast of characters and more through the eyes of a given character
  • Provide clues about this character, deliberately leaving him/her open for the viewer to interpret and create their own experience of this world
  • Physically make props - peripherals - that help to establish authenticity
  • Design a cast of characters based on conclusions from my research, each of which will intimately feel like they belong to the world
  • Create a pitch for a game within which this game space and its characters are both necessary and cohesive

I'm hoping that this will help to demonstrate what I have learned throughout my research, to bring it all together and also to showcase different skills. If I am successful, the journal will contain a believable and engaging, potential game space with characters that are relatable and intrinsic to this space. 

  

0 comments:

Post a Comment