Monday 10 August 2015

Overdue Update

Well, I neglected my reflective journal a bit, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I haven't been ploughing on with my final project.
The decision to carry on rather than sort out extenuating circumstances was wise at the time I felt, since I was very motivated - and still am - and enjoying the progress I am making with my final project. I've got several things in development at the moment, including a book with the written research I have done, an art book showcasing the exploratory projects and artwork I have done throughout the year to justify that research, and obviously my current design work.

It's been a pretty rocky ride, yet again. A while back I updated with all the crap life had been dropping on me, and apparently it wasn't done yet. My poor old little sister took another trip to hospital last wee due to her gastro oesophageal reflux disease, and not long before that my dad's brother passed away unexpectedly, leading to a trip down south for his funeral. Family reunions are nice, but once it a while it would be a damn sight better to gather under more celebratory circumstances ...

Anyway, with things calming down again I've been cracking on with planning and designing for my project. 

I'll break it down properly in a later post, but to summarize, my final project will manifest in the form of a journal, from the point of view of an adventurer that the viewers themselves can interpret according to their own imagination/experience of what they see and read. Within this journal will be documentation of an entire world of encountered characters, environments and more - all a culmination of what I have been exploring throughout the year. In terms of cohesiveness, believability and authenticity, I intend to include physical objects that will enhance the experience of reading this adventurer's journal, to try and put the player in this person's shoes, (figuratively speaking).

I will elaborate on this properly shortly. A side note to myself, however, is that people showed a great deal of interest in the characters I designed for my exploratory archetype project. With that in mind, and whilst brainstorming ideas, I have considered developing these characters further around my final project and/or vice versa. This is due to the solid background work I had already done with them, which left avenues open for developing an entire game around them.

That said, I mentioned in an earlier post that I would update with the actual character profiles of those characters, and I even forgot to summarize the conclusion drawn from that project. My bad! At this point, showing those characters' real profiles is for the enlightment and entertainment of all the people who took part in that experiment.

As of this moment, I'm both working on a short stint of an experiment regarding choices and consequences, to do with the world that my final project will revolve around, but also in the middle of a commission for a client who approached me not too long ago. So I'm currently juggling a number of things. At least it's keeping me busy. No time to really think too heavily on the past few weeks.

In short, that's you up to speed with where I'm at right now. The next few posts will be showcases of my progress with my final project, from brainstorming, to things I've been playing with physically making and to my early sketchwork and design work up until what I'm now doing.

I've even got a handy friend with a 3D printer who could help me out with some things if I ask really, really nicely - if he gets it working properly, apparently, since it's been having a few issues.

Thus far, it feels like it's coming together nicely. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment