Friday 27 February 2015

Backlog!

Okay, so it's been a while since I have updated my blog.
To be honest, 2015 had a bit of a rocky start - mostly due to the fact that I spent most of January with a bacterial infection that left me unable to leave the house for quite some time. After that... well, I very nearly forgot about my blog :3

So I've got a lot of backlog and a lot of things to reflect on.

Since the last update I have completed two briefs and am currently working on a third. I will further discuss my conclusions thus far when I come to reflecting upon those projects individually. For now I'll be to the point:
  1. The first of the two completed projects involved designing a big brother for Link. This challenged me to consider the role of a character and his/her/its significance, and how this might affect the player's engagement. It also challenged me to create a unique character that would exist seamlessly within the culture in that game. 
  2. The second of these projects was to redesign an existing character into another existing world. Josh suggested Link and Borderlands which, as it turns out, was a very good idea considering how different the game worlds are and the cultures within them. I chose to redesign Wind Waker Link. That was far more difficult than I anticipated, the main difficulties lying in trying to maintain the essence of the character whilst making him appropriately exist in the world of borderlands, which has a much grittier culture.
In the meantime, other aspects have cropped up, including questioning RPG's and why people make particular choices based on how well they fit a character's shoes, and even how peripherals can affect a player's engagement.
Of course, I am looking into further researching these.

0 comments:

Post a Comment