Monday 3 November 2014

Fundamentals of Character Design

So while I've been researching, it's also occurred to me that it is a good idea to revise the foundation of what makes a good character. These fundamentals, the very aspects that together create a memorable character, are the basis upon which I will be building up further. In regards to that, I rewound a year or two, back to the lectures in 2nd Year on Character Design.

Those lectures kind of stuck with me and it was what prompted me into specializing in character design, essentially.

My point is, I want to review that which I've already learned, so to use it as a springboard to help me.
I remember taking away several points about what makes a character stand out, including: 
  • Silhouette
  • Colour palette 
  • Visual grouping
  • A distinctive feature
 
These are points also considered in text books that I have read. In Better Game Characters by Design, there is an interview with Ryoichi Hasegawa and Roppyaku Tsurumi from Sony Computer Entertainment Japan. In this interview both make references to the use of silhouette, with Hasegawa stating that 'the character's silhouette is more important than character details' (Isbister, 2006). I can agree with that when it comes to static images, because you can take far less about a character from a still image than you can when the character is in play. So the silhouette helps to recognize it.

I remember some of the examples used in the presentation Josh gave were some of the most iconic characters, and they are so iconic because almost everyone recognizes them even without having played their respective games.


Globally recognised silhouette of Sonic!
Josh referred to Cloud's 'Big Sword' during those talks. That's another point that Hasegawa also makes in the interview, referring to a character's 'special qualities'. What is it that the character has that is particularly recognisable, enough to make them stand out - much like Cloud's big sword? Interestingly enough, Hagesawa also claims that 'overseas' game designers' lack good special qualities in their characters, making them weak in comparison to Japanese character designs, (Isbister, 2006).
That's just something for me to think on.

Another point, which would be good to consider for culturally-inspired characters, is visual grouping. When you have a group of characters that belong to the same world, something has to connect them visually. Now, when talking about characters that may come from different fictional cultures within that world, that might not be as easy as it seems. So the aspects of it are important to remember, such as similar clothing, the art style, body language and not forgetting colours. With this in mind, I might consider that subtle visual influences of culture could be more effective in terms of a visual collective.

These fundamentals are a useful springboard, however it is important to remember that each video game culture has a different methodology of designing characters too. Obviously, I am bearing in mind how certain cultures, for example Japan, seldom accept a character designed from another culture because it simply does not fit their customs. A good character designer might follow these tips, however the depth of the character - their personality and behavioural patterns - might conflict with different audiences.

0 comments:

Post a Comment