Wednesday 12 November 2014

Is subculture more prominent?

So I've had a handful of surveys back so far, and the results are actually quite interesting. Some of them are not what I was expecting, and it seems that people so far seem to pick up on the characters' sub-cultures and values more than culture. Of course, culture is connected to their values, or at least some of the answers indicate that the character's culture is related to their values, however again they are more focused on the sub-culture.

Interestingly enough, most of the favourite characters are actually quite general, in that they don't belong to specific culture, excluding the characters which belong to a fictional culture. Obviously, I need to wait for more people to reply with their answers for me to establish a conclusion, but I've just found it rather intriguing, some of the answers that have come back so far!

Thus far, my findings are leading to me to believe that perhaps I should be considering how to design a character from a particular culture both subtly and effectively, with a balance for marketability. 

So far, to answer my question, the impact of culture in character design appears to be minimal for those that I have asked so far, although there is value in it. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment