Tuesday 13 October 2015

Final Project: Design Processes 1

I decided to post all of the designs and sketch-work here as one blog entry. The rationale behind all of these designs/changes/developments is discussed in my art book. 

I just want to reflect upon what them all as a whole.
While some of them underwent little changes in their physical design, they would undergo changes in other areas such as their characteristics or backstories. This came as a result of 'play-testing' these designs amongst a variety of people. 

For the original 8 characters I designed, which I showcased a couple of blogs ago, I was mostly on the mark with having created intriguing characters which challenged their archetype. As I said, some underwent bigger changes than others. 

I just want to provide an example of a smaller change and a bigger redesign and why. 

Firstly, Trystan was redesigned fairly heavily, having received feedback that he came across as military to a number of participants. I didn't want this. Not only that, but his silhouette was found as lacking, and his visual design didn't quite oppose his story as much as I had hoped it would. This prompted me to rethink his design. The eye-patch remained however, since he still intentionally tries to hide the fact he has different coloured eyes; this characteristic remained. I just wanted him to look more common, more roguish or mercenary-like - in other words the opposite of what he actually is. 





Caleb is an example of a character that went underwent subtle but noticeable changes. The largest redesign aspect was his colour palette. This was due to the feedback I received suggesting that viewers assumed he was from a hot desert country. To better reflect the kind of terrain he comes from (a very foresty island nation) his palette became primarily green. 




It would be far too long winded for me to go through this for each character I designed. It was the same process for each of them. Did they fulfill each of the key words I had established?
I redesigned and reconsidered characters depending on the feedback I received, until the answer to almost all of them was 'yes'. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment