Wednesday 6 May 2015

Project #4 - Conclusion

This was a very fun project to do, and I also learned a bit about concepting an environment, as well as establishing a solid space in which I could create solid characters that were ultimately believable as a result. Focusing on non-human characters gave me a good insight into what appeals to audiences about certain characters.

To summarize, each candidate surveyed about the non-human and creature characters I created responded positively in that the characters were both intriguing and exciting in a way. They had their own individual story, all of which slotted well together since they all shared a common connection to their given space.

In other words I was successful in creating a cohesive world, and so the hypothesis that  a cohesive environment and character correlation improves player identification with both character and the world. This has also been supported by an interview I conducted with Peter Field whilst I was completing this project.

Additionally, I learned that people responded much better to my non-human characters and creature characters than anyone has done to any human character I have designed. This leads me to believe that the theory of non-human characters being more relatable has some grounding., since these characters aren’t riddled with certain behavioral expectations.





0 comments:

Post a Comment