Wednesday 6 May 2015

Why do we Roleplay?

It's funny what sparks your inspiration. I was on the bus from Southport to Preston with a friend and, having been discussing what I'd done for my short Borderlands/Wind Waker project, we moved onto talking about game experiences and consequently RPG's.

We asked ourselves, what exactly is it that makes us Roleplay? My friend, Tom, remarked that less and less people are engaging with RPG's the way that we should be. Extra Credits addressed the very same issue he'd mentioned, which I found very interesting. In fact, they've come up with a few issues that make you stop and think, however they have a tendency to concluded their discussions as if they have the solution, without much in the way of evidence to back it up.

Extra Credits is written by an experienced games designer, James Portnow, so they are obviously reliable in terms of trusting what they do question, and the experience the team has.

These are a couple of episodes that piqued my interest in particular. If I was to investigate this, however, I'm not sure how I would go about approaching it in terms of exploratory design. This seems a little more theoretical.

Extra Credits talk a lot about the game-play and making the game 'real'. Of course, this would involve creating an entire, cohesive world that is believable to you, or at least that's what logic says. However I might argue, that it is largely down to how a player relates to a character that makes us want to role-play as that particular character. I agree with their argument of consequence, but if you and the character whose role you are taking don't share the same reactions to certain consequences then of course you won't really care about those consequences. Something about the character has to engage you enough to then respond to the urgency and repercussions that happen in game-play. 

Again, I'm not quite sure how to address this one yet, so I'll let it simmer for a little while.




0 comments:

Post a Comment