Tuesday 3 March 2015

Project #3 - Initial Designs and Rationale

Getting started with this proved trickier than I would have thought. My first sketches felt stale, like I was just mimicking what was already in the world of Borderlands. That's not what I was hoping to do. I wanted to try and put a unique, Borderlands twist on the original Wind Waker Link, in order to try and maintain the identifiable nature of the character. 

I pinpointed what kinds of characteristics of Link could translate across a different fictional culture, and how I could play on this. Borderlands is known to be a bit outrageous, so I looked into the slightly wacky sides of Wind Waker. (Hence, a friend of mine and I came up with the ridiculous class type 'potbreaker', since it's an ongoing joke among Zelda fans that link is just a vandal who likes to break vases!)




I found it difficult trying to portray Link as a young child, so I sought to adapt him a little so that he would suit the game space of Borderlands better. Obviously I ran the risk of losing the essence of young Link, but I was careful. I found designing a child in Borderlands difficult, at least until I discovered the DLC character, 13-year old Tiny Tina.




In the end, after much debate with my resident Borderlands expert, it was agreed that it would be ideal to design Link around a similar age, only slightly older than his Wind Waker self. 
With that in mind, I played around with silhouettes. 








0 comments:

Post a Comment