Tuesday 3 March 2015

Project #3 - Refining the Design

Having established a good silhouette, I then focused on how I would portray Link's famous Hero attire within the confines of Borderlands' much grittier culture. I wanted to stick with the colour palette, as this seems to be a good move on the part of other artists who have redesigned Link. He is easily recognizable through his colour palette. Rather, I tried to have a bit of fun exploring his outfits and his attitude. 



Though I had created various silhouettes for weapons that he might hold, my resident expert and I wanted to have a bit of fun. The nature of Borderlands gave a bit of leeway for us to tackle to the quirkier side of Wind Waker - one of the most amusing being the pigs which attack Link relentlessly as a consequence of Link injuring them too much. So, it seemed fitting that he has a mechanical pig bomb.... right? :


Another quirk from Wind Waker, actually, is how goofy Link seems to be. He comes out with some impressively manic expressions, and this made us consider how his eccentric personality would translate to the world of Borderlands. As a result, I would see Link as slightly manic, enough to wield a mechanical pig with a dynamite strapped to it, that is... Not only that, but he is always pretty chipper in Wind Waker. So... this was the outcome. 

Link has an extremely expressive personality through just expressions!




The next stage was exploring suitable colours. Obviously, I wanted to stay with the original colour palette of Wind Waker Link in order to maintain the essence of his character, but it also had to suit the style of Borderlands. Since it is far grittier than Wind Waker, I focused on slightly grungier tones. 





I also played with some weapon designs for a bit of fun, and through discussing with others we found that a compound crossbow was a decent idea since Link always has a bow in some form or another. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment